Kristy Miller (nee Dobson), Senior Solicitor
Kristy is a Senior Solicitor at McKays and practices in the commercial litigation team.
Kristy is experienced in advising clients in pre-litigation stages with a view to avoiding court proceedings whenever possible. When early resolution is not possible, Kristy handles matters from the commencement of proceedings through to completion for disputes relating to:
- money owed to or by clients;
- provision of goods and services (such as incomplete services or defective goods);
- contractual disputes (for example, hire agreements, credit applications, loan agreements, leases, franchise agreements, insurance contracts, contracts concerning property).
Kristy prides herself on negotiating pathways throughout the litigation process for clients whilst balancing their interests, minimising stress and cost to her clients.
In addition to general commercial litigation matters, Kristy has a particular interest in matters of both personal and corporate insolvency and corporations law. Kristy regularly acts both for and against external administrators such as liquidators or receivers, as well as company directors and individuals in financial distress.
Kristy regularly presents at Master Builders Industry Updates and Civil Contractors Federation Events.
- Acting for a client to defend claims for unfair preferences and insolvent transactions in liquidation of company on behalf of corporate client.
- Acting for a client to appeal rejection of proof of debt (totalling over $1.5 million) in liquidation of an insolvent trade creditor.
- Acting for a client in proceedings in the Supreme Court claiming a breach of restraint of trade.
- Pursuing claims for unfair preferences and insolvent transaction on behalf of liquidators.
- Drafting Deed of Company Arrangement on behalf of administrators to permit company to continue trading and returning a better outcome to trade creditors, while avoiding winding up action commenced by the Australian Taxation Office.
- Assisting clients with personal bankruptcy queries, including negotiating with bankruptcy trustee, creditors, banks and Australian Taxation Office.
Membership and Appointments
- Immediate Past President of North Queensland Law Association
- Former President and Secretary of Mackay District Law Association
- Co-Chair of YP (Young Professionals) Mackay
- Committee Member – Early Career Lawyers Committee, Queensland Law Society