Many pitfalls and complications can arise in dealing with farms or rural properties. Our lawyers have the expertise and industry knowledge to guide you through the many day to day and strategic issues which you will have to navigate as a farmer, business owner or landowner in the agricultural or rural sector.

We will work closely with you to gain a full understanding of your business and the issues affecting the rural and farming sectors, to provide tailored legal advice specific to your needs. Our approach minimises the stress involved in dealing with a legal issue, allowing you to focus on the growth of your own business.

Farming and Agribusiness

We can advise you in relation to:

  • Buying and selling farms and farming properties, including sugarcane, cattle (beef and dairy), grains, cotton, small crops, etc.
  • Preparing Share Farming Arrangements
  • Preparing Partnership Agreements
  • Preparing Joint Venture Agreements
  • Preparing Shareholders Agreements
  • Leasing your farm or farming equipment
  • Business Structuring
  • Asset Protection
  • Sale and purchase of livestock, permits and machinery associated with the change of ownership of pastoral land
  • The Personal Property Securities Regime
  • Workplace health and safety issues, including advice on procedural issues pursuant to the Work Health and Safety Act
  • Employment law issues such as salary and wage negotiations, enterprise bargaining, employment contracts and working with contractors and subcontractors
  • Industrial Relations issues including termination issues and unfair dismissal claims
  • Disputes and court cases including liability claims such as WorkCover claims, disputes with contractors and debt collection
  • Environmental Law issues, for example licensing issues with the Environmental Protection Act
  • Succession planning and intergenerational farm transfers
  • Will/s & Estate Planning
  • Family Law Matters
  • Establishing a Self Managed Superannuation Fund

Rural land

We offer expert advice relating to:

  • Rural residential and non-residential subdivisions
  • Land titling issues, both freehold land and crown leasehold land
  • Applications to government departments to convert crown leasehold land into freehold land
  • Procedural issues under the Water Act and regulations, including transferring water licences/allocations, subdividing parts of water allocations and disputes regarding water licences/allocations with third parties and government agencies
  • Resumption disputes (such as those under the Acquisition of Land Act) by local governments and government owned corporations
  • Mining exploration permits and the implication of those permits pursuant to the Mineral Resources Act and related regulations

We are local lawyers, with long standing links to the rural and farming communities and we understand the pressures that you are faced with. Contact us today for more information on how we can help you.




Asset Protection...Client Guide

Asset protection is about reviewing the way you carry on your business, trade or profession, how you own your private and business assets and how to ensure that if the worst occurs, you do not lose everything you have worked so hard to create. Our client guide will help you understand how you can protect your assets.

Download Guide

Wills & Powers of Attorney...Client Guide

A Will is the cornerstone of an effective transfer of assets on death - it puts you in charge of important decisions now about what you want to happen to your affairs after you die. Our client guide will help you understand everything you need to know about making a Will or a Power of Attorney.

Download Guide

Sign up to our newsletter.

Sign up now

Transfer Duty and Possible Concessions

Transfer duty (previously called stamp duty) is a tax imposed on transactions of real property or chattels. The State Government charges transfer duty based on the sale price of the property.–The contract of sale typically passes on the requirement to pay the duty to the buyer.The question of how much duty is payable depends on the sale price with the percentage scale increasing with the sale price.Depending on the nature of the transaction, certain concessions and exemptions may be available to you.

Click here to calculate transfer duty on your new farm or rural property.

For those transferring a farm or part of a farm to another family member, you may be eligible to apply for a concession to reduce your duty to Nil. To find out more follow this link:

To download the form to apply for the primary production concession to transfer a family business click on

Our contribution to the monthly Canegrowers Billet and our Free Rural Law Newsletters

Our experienced rural solicitors contribute a column each month to the Canegrowers Billet.Our column is focused on legal issues surrounding the farming sector and aims to inform farmers on the topical issues affecting them at the time.If you are a Canegrowers member, be sure to check out our column in each month’s Billet for some free legal info aimed at benefiting the cane farming industry.

You can find out more on joining Canegrowers by following the below link:

Canegrowers -

We also publish frequent Rural Law Newsletters which provide information to farmers on topical legal issues that farmers in our region should be aware of.If you would like to view any of our Rural Law Newsletters please follow this link //*//

What if your not an Australia Citizen or Permanent Resident?

If you are looking at buying a farm or rural property but aren’t an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, please click on the below link to find out if you are eligible to sign a contract now or whether you need to insert a special condition into the contract to make your contract subject to you obtaining approval from the Foreign Investments Board before locking yourself into the purchase.If you cannot find the information you are looking for on this link, please feel free to contact one of our friendly team who can assist you further.

Foreign Investors Board -

What if you have a Supplemented Water Allocation to transfer?

If you are looking at transferring a Supplemented Water Allocation to another person, you will need to download the necessary form from Sun Water and complete.If you are not an existing Sun Water customer, you will also have to complete a Customer Profile Details Form and also submit to Sun Water.If your transfer of the Water Allocation also involves other property, we recommend you contact one of our friendly team who can offer you further assistance to help you with the transaction so it is done correctly the first time.

Sunwater water allocation transfer information -

QRIDA Farm Management Grants

Some farmers may be eligible to apply for a grant from QRIDA (formerly called QRAA).If you would like more information on the grant, you can follow this link or alternatively, give one of our friendly team a call and we can explore this option with you.



  • Agricultural & Rural
  • Asset Protection
  • Building & Construction
  • Commercial & Business
  • Credit Management / Debt Collection
  • Dispute Resolution
  • Energy, Resources & Mining
  • Industrial Relations, Employment Law & WHS
  • Insolvency / Bankruptcy
  • Intellectual Property
  • Local Government/Government
  • Private Wealth
  • Property & Development
  • Superannuation
  • Criminal Law & Traffic Law
  • Deceased Estates
  • Employment Law & WHS
  • Family Law
  • Residential Conveyancing
  • Superannuation
  • Trauma, Accident & Super
  • Wills & Estate Planning